Is an ecclesiastical parish, 7 miles south from Devizes station on the Newbury and Bath section of the Great Western Railway, formed in 1875 from the parish of Market Lavington, consisting of the tithings of Easterton, Eastcott and Fiddington, in the Eastern division of the county, Swanborough hundred, Devizes petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Potterne (Potterne portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury.
The Church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1875, is a building of red brick, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are about 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £197, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Gilbert Alfred King M.A. of Merton College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan Chapel.
The principal landowners are Mrs. Lamb, J. W. Morgan Williams esq. Capt. Marshall Hall and The Rev. Charles F. W. T. Williams M.A. of Hythe, Southants. The soil is loam; subsoil, green sand. The chief crops are corn and roots. The area is 1,653 acres; rateable value, £2,731; the population in 1891 was 582 in the civil and 582 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Sexton, Henry Carter
Post Office – Arthur Webb Draper, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Devizes at 6.30 a.m. & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 9 a.m. & 7.15 p.m. week days; sundays, letters arrive at 6.30 a.m. & dispatched at 9 a.m. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest Money Order & Telegraph Office is Market Lavington, 1 mile distant.
National School (Mixed), built in 1877, at the cost of £400, for 90 children; average attendance 62; Mrs. Lucretia Redstone, mistress.
|Budd, Sanderson G.,||Alford, Edward. Market Gardener|
|King, Rev. Gilbert Alfred M.A.. Vicarage||Andrews, Henry. Market Gardener|
|Reilly, Major J. M. T.. Fiddington House||Andrews, Wm. [William]. farmer, Willoughby’s Farm|
|Saunders, Samuel. The Hollies||Burnett, Henry. Market Gardener|
|Saunders, The Misses. The Hawthorns||Cooke, Peter. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Williams, John William Morgan. The Manor House||Cooksey, Arthur. Market Gardener|
|Cooper, James Thomas. Farmer|
|Dowse, Robert, Farmer. Ducks Farm|
|Drowse, Robt. [Robert]. Farmer, Eastcott Manor Farm|
|Draper, Arthur Webb. Grocer & Draper, Boot & Shoe, Warehouse & General Stores, Post Office|
|Draper, David. Market Gardener|
|Draper, John. Market Gardener|
|Drewett, Jas. [James]. Market Gardener, Eastcott|
|Fiddler, Joseph. Market Gardener|
|Gidding, Jacob. Farmer|
|Gregory, Herbert Caswell. Farmer|
|Hobbs, James. Farmer|
|Hobbs, James. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Hiscock, Jacob. Market Gardener|
|Lye, James. Market Gardener, Oak Lane|
|Hughes C. & Sons. Hauliers & Road Contractors & Farmers, Halstead Farm|
|Maynard, Enos. Blacksmith|
|Miles, Thomas. Farmer|
|Morse, William Edwd. [Edward]. Royal Oak P.H.|
|Palmer, Seymour. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Pike, Sidney. Carpenter, Wheelwright & Builder, Cart, Van & Wagon Builder &c.; Repairs Executed, estimates given|
|Plank, James. Market Gardener|
|Price, George. Haulier|
|Saunders, Samuel. Fruit Preserve Manufacturer, The Hollies|
|Shergold, Robert. Market Gardener|
|Snook, Richard. Market Gardener|
The above transcription is from Kelly’s Directory of Wiltshire for 1898.
Note: The layout, along with some textual changes, have been made to provide the information to the reader more clearly and consistently.