Is an ecclesiastical parish, 2 miles from Lavington station and 7 miles south from Devizes station on the Newbury and Bath section of the Great Western Railway, formed in 1875 from the parish of Market Lavington, consisting of the tithings of Easterton, Eastcott and Fiddington, in the Eastern division of the county, Swanborough hundred, Devizes petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Potterne (Potterne portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury.
The church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1875, is a building of red brick, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are about 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1895 by Rev. Gilbert Albert King M.A. of Merton College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
The principal landowners are The Crown, J. W. Morgan Williams esq. Capt. Marshall Hall and the Rev. Charles F. W. T. Williams M.A. of Deal, Kent. The soil is loam; subsoil green sand. The chief crops are corn and roots. The area is 1,596 acres; rateable value £1,730; the population in 1901 was 370 in the civil and 594 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Sexton, Henry Carter
Post Office – Mrs. Beatrice Whatton, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Market Lavington S.O. which is the nearest M. O. & T. O. at 6.30 a.m. & 4.30 p.m.; dispatched at 9 a.m. & 7.20 p.m. week days; sundays, letters arrive at 6.30 a.m. & dispatched at 9 a.m. Postal Orders are issued here, but no paid.
Elementary School (mixed), built in 1877, at the cost of £400, for 90 children; average attendance, 70; Mrs Lucretia Redstone, mistress.
|King, Rev. Gilbert Alfred, M.D.. Vicarage||Alford, Edward. Market Gardener|
|Tindall, Mrs.. Paxton Cottage||Andrews, Bros. [Brothers]. Farmers, Willoughby’s Fm [Farm]|
|Wharton, Edgar Arthur||Andrews, Henry. Market Gardener|
|Williams, John William Morgan. The Manor House||Burnett, Henry. Market Gardener|
|Coleman, Charles. Baker, Chapel Gdns [Gardens]|
|Coleman, George. Market Gardener|
|Cooke, Sydney. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Cooksey, Arthur. Market Gardener|
|Dowse, Robt. [Robert]. Frmr [Farmer], Eastcott Manor Frm [Farm]|
|Dowse, Robt. [Robert], jun. [Junior]. Farmer, Ducks Farm|
|Draper, David. Market Gardener|
|Draper, John. Market Gardener|
|Drewett, Hy. [Henry]. Market Gardnr. [Gardener], Eastcott|
|Fiddler, Ann (Mrs.). Laundry|
|Ford, Oliver. Householder, Roslyn Cot. [Cottage]|
|Frost, Charles. Trainer of Sporting Dogs|
|Gidding, Jacob. Farmer|
|Gregory, Herbert Caswell. Farmer|
|Hobbs, James. Farmer|
|Hobbs, James. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Hiscock, Jacob. Market Gardener|
|Hughes, C & Sons. frmrs. [Farmers], Halstead Farm|
|Hussey, Hy. [Henry]. Bird and Animal Preserver|
|Lye, James. Market Gardener, Oak Lane|
|Maynard, Enos. Blacksmith|
|Miles, Thomas, Farmer|
|Moore, Samuel, Refreshment Rooms|
|Morse, William Edwd. [Edward]. Royal Oak P.H. [Public House]|
|Palmer, Seymour. Farmer, Eastcott|
|Pike, Sidney. Carpenter|
|Plank, James. Market Gardener|
|Price, George. Haulier|
|Sainsbury, Wm. [William] Jn. [John]. frmr [Farmer], Forrest frm. [Farm]|
|Shergold, Robert. Market Gardener|
|Snook, Richard. Market Gardener|
|Spires, Thomas. Market Gardener|
|Walton, Arthur Morgan. Grocer|
|Wharton, Beatrice (Mrs.). Grocer, and Post Office|
The above transcription is from Kelly’s Directory of Wiltshire for 1903.
Note: The layout, along with some textual changes, have been made to provide the information to the reader more clearly and consistently.