Market Lavington or East Lavington

(Formerly called Lavington Forum and Staple Lavington)

Is a parish and small town pleasantly situated in a fertile valley, at the base of the chalk hill which forms the northern boundary of Salisbury Plain, and consists principally of one street, 6 miles south from Devizes station, on the Great Western Railway, 19 north-west from Salisbury and 90 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Swanborough hundred, Devizes petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Potterne (Potterne portion), archdeaconry of Wilts and diocese of Salisbury. A market was formerly held on Wednesday, but is now discontinued.

The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of Bath stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, standing on an eminence west of the town and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of two bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, recast in 1876 at a cost of £220: the east end of the north aisle was formerly a chantry chapel, founded in 1349 by Robert de la Mere, and dedicated to SS. Mary, Katherine and Margaret, and its piscina still remains. Sir Walter Beauchamp kt. in his will dated 1429, desires that his body shall be buried here: his son William Beauchamp, Lord St. Amand ob. 1457, also in his will, makes a like request; the spiral stone stair, entered by a doorway from this chapel, anciently led to the rood-loft: in the vestry is a curious holy water stoup, now under a piscina niche: a quantity of Norman carving (now built into a string course in the south porch) was discovered in the east wall of the nave and the chancel arch in 1862; the chancel retains a credence and hagioscope; in 1878 a reredos of Caen stone, marble and alabaster was presented by Mrs. Pearson, widow of the Rev. T. Pearson, formerly vicar of this parish; the east window and three others are stained, and there are mural tablets on the Sainsbury family, including one to Thomas Sainsbury esq. Lord Mayor of London, 1786: the church was restored in 1862, and affords 380 sittings. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £210, with 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Edward Blackstone Cokayne Frith B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. Here are Congregational and Baptist chapels. Dr. Thomas Tanner, Bishop of St. Asaph, was born here in 1674, his father having been vicar of the parish, and at his death, in 1733, he bequeathed £200 for the benefit of the poor. In 1795 Thomas Sainsbury esq. bequeathed £200 in the £3 per Cent. Consols, to be expended in bread for the poor of the parish at Easter and Christmas eve; and in 1796 William Sainsbury esq. made a similar bequest: a like amount has been bequeathed by Miss Maria Sainsbury, a relative of the above. Sarah Stobbart left by will, in 1864, £360, the interest to be expended in fuel.

The Workmen’s Hall was erected in 1865, with funds left by Edward Sanders esq. of Bath, and comprises a coffee room, a reading room well supplied with newspapers and a small library. The trustees of the late Right Hon. Edward Pleydell-Bouverie P.C (d. 1889), who are lords of the manor, the Crown and Mrs. B. A. Ludlow are the principal landowners. Manor House, the occasional residence of the marquise de la Valette, of 22 Grosvenor square, W, is a modern Elizabethan mansion of red brick, beautifully situated in extensive grounds.

The soil is rich loam, with a sub-soil of green sand and some chalk. The land is largely pasture, but in those parts of the parish most distant from the town it is arable. There are excellent beds of clay, which are extensively worked as brick and pottery fields. The area is 3,804 acres; rateable value, £5,023; the population in 1891 was 1,035 in the civil and 897 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Parish Clerk, William Mullings.

Easterton tithing, three-quarters of a mile north-east, is now a ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under a separate heading.

Fiddington, formerly part of West Lavington, has been added to this parish for civil purposes by Local Government Board Order 16,452, dated March 24, 1884; it is in the ecclesiastical parish of Easterton. Fiddington House Private Asylum is pleasantly situated in about 15 acres of pleasure grounds and gardens at the top of the town; it is well provided with every kind of indoor and outdoor amusement and is now under the management of Major J. M. T. Reilly.

Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery, Parcel Post & Annuity & Insurance Office. – Thomas B. Morris, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Devizes & are delivered at 7 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.; dispatched thereto at 9.25 a.m. & 8 p.m. Sundays, letters delivered at 7 a.m. & dispatched at 8 p.m. Money Order & Savings Bank business transacted from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Inland Revenue Office, High Street, Charles K. Bradley, officer.

Volunteers. 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Duke of Edinburgh’s (Wiltshire Regiment) (E Co.), Guy Stephenson, captain; Fredk. [Frederick] Allsopp, lieutenant; Geo. Whiteway, sergt.-inspector.

National School (boys, girls & infants), erected in 1845, at a cost of £620 & enlarged in 1871, for 200 children; average attendance, 50 boys, 35 girls & 47 infants; John William Duck, master; Miss Rose Elizabeth Colthup, girls’ mistress; Mrs Emma Fanny Price, infants’ mistress.

Carrier to Devizes – Potter, omnibus, daily

Private ResidentsCommercial
de la Valette, Marquise. Manor House; & 22 Grosvenor square, London W.Alexander, Aldred. Farmer
Firth, Rev. Edwd. [Edward] Blackstone Cokayne B.A.. (Vicar)Alexander, Richard. King’s Arms P.H.
Giddings, John.Ashley, George. Grocer
Grist, Oliver. Hill ViewAxford, Annie (Miss). Dress Maker
Hart, Mrs.. Rose VillaAxford, William. New Inn
Heiron, Mrs.. High StreetBaker, John. Whitesmith, Ironmonger, & Assistant Overseer for Market Lavington & Easterton
Holloway, Thomas, sen. [senior]. High StreetBeak, Alfred. Hairdresser & Tobacconist
Holloway, Thomas.Brown, William Hy. [Henry]. Market Gardener
House, Joseph Roxby.Burgess, Alfred. Photographer, Toy & Fancy Dealer, Outdoor Photography a speciality
Kite, John. The SandsButcher, Reuben. Farmer, & Volunteer Arms P.H.
Lowe, Rev. William. (Congregational)Chapman, William. Market Gardener
Lush, John Selfe. Ivy CottageCanning, Henry Albert. Sanitary & Hydraulic Engineer, Plumber, Painter, Glazier & Decorator, Drainage & Ventilation &c.; Estab. 1797
Lush, William Henry. Prospect HouseChinnock, Mrs.. Private Day & Boarding School
Middleton, Mrs..Coleman, William Henry. Boot Maker
Pleydell-Bouverie, Edward Oliver. The Old HouseCooper, Jacob Bolter. Market Gardener
Pleydell-Bouverie, Miss..Draper, David. Market Gardener
Reilly, Major James Myles Townsend. Fiddington HouseDraper, Frank. Turner, Joiner, Carpenter, Builder & Undertaker & General Contractor, Horticultural Builder &c.
Saunders, The Misses. The SandsFerris & Spakman. Farmers, prize blood stock breeders & shire horse owners, West Park
Sperring, Mrs.. High StreetGiddings, Thomas. Market Gardener
Welch, James. Spring VillaGlass, Harriet (Mrs.). Farmer, Freith Farm
Welch, Miss M.. Beech CottageGodfrey, Arthur William. Butcher
Welch, Mrs.. Beech HouseGreen Dragon Hotel & Posting House. good accomodation for travellers, cyclists &c. (John Roberts, Proprietor)
Gye, James. Carpenter, Joiner, Wheelwright & Builder, Cart, Van, Trap & Wagon Builder, Repairs of all kinds
Holliday, Alfred Thomas. Boot Maker & Cycle Agent
Holloway Bros. [Brothers]. Brick, Tile & Pottery Works
Hopkins, William. Builder & Contractor, Carpenter, Joiner & Decorator, estimates furnished
Hurle, Albert. Market Gardener
Hussey, James. Cabinet Maker
Kidner, George. Butcher
King, John. Plumber & Painter
Lush, Wm. [William] Hy. [Henry] & Jn. [John] Selfe. Surgeons
Lush, John Selfe. Medical Officer for No. 7 district, Devizes union, med. supt. Fiddington House Asylum, & see Lush William Henry & John Selfe
Merrett, John. Shoeing Smith
Merrett, John Hampton. Cycle Maker & Agent for most of the leading manufacturers; accessories, repairs &c.
Morris, Thos. [Thomas] Blakeley. Draper, Post Office
Mullings, William Hy. [Henry]. Basket, Hamper & Sieve Maker; Wicker Work of all kinds, repairs &c.
Mundy, Henry James. Seedsman, Fruiterer & Greengrocer, Fishmonger, Poulterer &c. High Street
Neate, James. Brewer & Spirit Merchant
Notton, Edward. Baker
Oram, Robert. Bricklayer
Oram, William. Picture Frame Maker
Palmer, Alfred. Builder
Park, Richard. Tailor
Parrott, John. Farmer, Candon Farm
Pinchen, Jn. [John]. Bricklayer, & Market Gardener
Potter, Edwin. Carrier
Reilly, Maj. J. M. T.. Fiddington House Private Lunatic Asylum
Roberts, John. Green Dragon Hotel
Sainsbury, Jn. [John]. Farmer, Fiddington Farm
Saunders, Samuel. Fruit Grower & Preserve Manufacturer
Self, Tom. Estate Bailiff to the exors. of the Right Hon. Edward Pleydell-Bouverie, Russell Mill
Slade, George Wm. [William]. Farmer, Nap Farm
Sumner, Louisa (Mrs.). Baker & Grocer
Tarrant, William. Chimney Sweeper
Volunteer Battalion (2nd) Duke of Edinburgh’s (Wiltshire) Regiment (E Co. Capt. Guy Stephenson, commanding; George Whiteway, sergt. instructor
Wadman, Robert. Farmer
Wadman, Wiliam. Farmer
Walton, Arth. [Arthur] Morgan. Draper & Grocer
Ward, William. Pig Butcher
Welch, James. Secretary to the Wiltshire Agricultural Association & Steward to the Governors of the Dauntsey charity, Spring Villa
Welch, Mary (Miss). Teacher of Music
Whitechurch, Mary (Mrs.). Bookseller
Whitechurch, Thos. [Thomas] Henry, Drug Dealer
White, Thomas Henry. Engineer & Agricultural Implement Maker
Whiteway, George. Sergt. Instructor of the Volunteers
Wiltshire Agricultural Association (James Welch, Secretary)
Workmen’s Hall (Samuel Saunders Secretary; Chas. [Charles] Scratchley, Hall Keeper)

The above transcription is from Kelly’s Directory of Wiltshire for 1898.
Note: The layout, along with some textual changes, have been made to provide the information to the reader more clearly and consistently.